× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Night rides - what lights

12 years 7 months ago #286 by ratcat
Replied by ratcat on topic Night rides - what lights
I just got upgraded to Cygolite TridenX a few months ago. I mount it on my bar and it works mighty fine. The beam is nice and wide and now I can ride like if I am in the day time. Well actually I tend to go faster in the night. On my helmet I use the mount that came with the TridenX to mount my Petzl. Really now, I think I can bearly notice if my head lamp is on or not, but hell, great for map reading and going through my junk on my sag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 7 months ago #281 by tom
Replied by tom on topic Night rides - what lights
1) I have the L&M HID Arc NiMH... dont go with NiMH as my battery went kapput after 6months!! They are expensive but the light quality is excellent. Customer service is very personal and excellent. Julien has the more expensive battery system and even he had troubles..

2) Brightstar Levin 12W HID - I found a shop on Aplui street in SSP selling this system for $1200! Best value there is. The battery is Lithium ion and it lasts for about 4hours and charges quickly. The light bulb needs repositioning within the housing to make the beam wider but that is really the only tweak needed- and its dead easy!

3) Hope. Phil on Lamma has had nothing but grief with their super expensive & super-bright LED system, so stay away from that brand. Its on it way back to the UK for a second time after it just went out without warning on a downhill bit....

4) Do It Yourself - cheap and easy to do. 20W halogen bulbs are $20 and the light casing is made from plumbing supplies. Plans are everywhere on the internet. Sealed Lead Acid batteries + charger is a bargain ($100), but very, very heavy.

Regarding HID, I have never had mine overheat... they get hot, so keep your fingers away!

P.S. always have a backup light on just in case!!

12 years 7 months ago #277 by Rogue
Replied by Rogue on topic Night rides - what lights
BB
I've had great success with the Light & Motion lights in recent years.
I sold my L&M Arc HID on ebay a while back as it was great, but was hot at the lamp... and the bulbs dont last forever.
Currently use a L&M Stella 180L Led light (helmet mounted)... 5 hrs on high and its just enough for trail riding, when used with my original L&M Vega (bar mounted).... although they brought out a new Vega which is 200 Lumens vs the old one at 85 Lumens... time for an upgrade......:ohmy:

I have found the lights available in HKG bikeshops to be lacking... hence I now get mine fro Ebay or CRC

Cheers

12 years 7 months ago #272 by jezblanchard
Replied by jezblanchard on topic Night rides - what lights
Light and Motion, some new LED's which equate to long life. My L&M Arc no probs in its use for me.

Andy Mac is the man with lots of info in this area however

Cheers,
Jez

12 years 7 months ago #268 by BeardedBlunder
Night rides - what lights was created by BeardedBlunder
Want to start night riding again but my main light set has died, and i need to replace it

i have a use joystich for my helmet and that great, but need something for my bike.

im contemplating a led set but not sur, the reason being i have heard thaat the hid can overheat in the warm clime

anybody got any suggestions

cheers
bb

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.