× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?

10 years 11 months ago #1383 by ratcat
Replied by ratcat on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
but one thing about the 575, it had a weird 3 link suspension. When the rear compresses, it flexes the top tubes of the rear triangle which are made of flexible carbon. I feel when ever a design needs this kind of flexing movment, it will eventually break down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 11 months ago #1368 by tom
Replied by tom on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
It is a tough yet very personal and expensive decision. I have to admit that I am in the Yeti 575 camp having come from the land of sub 4. Its a great bike that is very smooth over most terrain and also is a great climber. Its will take you down most of the nasty stuff in TMS and you'll thank your luck when the little bit extra travel on the front saves you from a nasty introduction to the trail.

10 years 11 months ago #1361 by Jeff
Replied by Jeff on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
I think Steve pretty much nailed it- there's not a huge amount of difference between 4 and and 5 inches of rear suspension, at least not enough in my mind to justify the cost of a new frame. If you want to change bikes, look at 5.5 or 6 inches instead. Or just replace your current fork with something longer.

For the trails you mention, none of them really require vast amounts of travel. CMW is flat, Lamma has some pretty big climbs (and the downs are smooth). Tai Lam is practically a level foothpath. A longer travel bike would be useful and fun on parts of TMS though.

Let me know if you decide to upgrade- I'd be interested in a secondhand Anthem frame as I'm going to replace my hardtail.

10 years 11 months ago #1360 by bob
Replied by bob on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
Lagerkranser,
you have inadvertently opened up the old argument about which is the best bike for Hong Kong! But it has been a while, so here goes:
I would argue a case for the Nomad, but buy a Trek Remedy. The other bikes mentioned here in the lightweight / long travel genre are also worthy.
I am probably biased towards longer travel as I entered the sport the "wrong way" - diving in almost straight away to DH bikes. I have a shed full of bikes [!] from Glory to hardtail, including a couple of Intense uzzis with light/heavy buildup. However, after chasing the bling, I find that the $ to fun factor comes in with the Big company [giant/trek/spec etc] offerings. Though I do spend an unhealthy amount of time on the Santa Cruz website....

bryanghk,
probably a bit off thread. Bikesteve gives some good advice. I find that doing it "backwards" has given me a lot of new fun and challenges on the hardtail, that just didn't exist on the longer travel bikes. What I am saying is: ride whatever you want.:cheer: Some of the quickest DHer's I've ridden with came off Moto's or BMX... The most impressive riding I've seen was a XC hardtailer blitzing Kaplung complete with SPD's!!

10 years 11 months ago #1359 by lagerkranser
Replied by lagerkranser on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
yeti575: can I buy the Yeti ASR 5C in Hong Kong and how much would it set me back? It looks sweet.

10 years 11 months ago #1358 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
In answer to the original question it's not a night and day difference between 4 & 5, the cheap option is to fit a couple of fatter tires to your current bike like High Roller 2.5 super tacky's, you'll almost gain an extra inch in softness not to mention superior grip.
-I did this with my Anthem last summer mainly to get better grip on wet days but found myself happily keeping up with the majority of the guys doing Tai Mo Shan.

How about the new Reign X 2010? Great reviews, pretty light at 31 lb, not sure i've seen any in HK yet and 6.7"

As a beginner i'd lean towards either a hard-tail or an Anthem, you'll really want to spend a good amount of time learning about bike handling and control before tackling Tai Mo Shan which is a steep learning curve and one that i've seen finish a riding career very prematurely!

A shorter travel bike or hardtail will make the beginner a much better technical rider long term as it forces you to approach the trail in a more skilled manner by unweighting the front and back of the bike as you come accross rocks, steps, roots and stuff.

Fast-tracking into the sport with huge suspension will largely render such
skills obsolete as you'll have the ability to hit stuff and roll over it, but there will be times when you wish you had those skills when the trail flattens out and you need to bob your weight back and forth to keep your momentum going, through a rock garden say.

10 years 11 months ago #1357 by bryanghk
Replied by bryanghk on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
So what equipment would you guys recommend for a complete newbie? I just registered over here and am looking for some tips on biking in HK. Remember, I am a novice so please reply accordingly.

10 years 11 months ago #1356 by ratcat
Replied by ratcat on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
The Commencal Meta 5.5 is a good choice. Most of our guys use this model. I get you that Anthem is great for tranlating pedal power to forward motion. It climbs great and can do almost anything. But like you said, if you want more fun then it is a different story. You have to define "fun". 5 inch of travel and shorter top tube makes the bike more fun for me, easier to control. Mountain biking is not only about racing and going as fast as possible, it is about movement, corning, jumps and hops. fun is how the bike respond on the trail, over rocks and roots. It is a balance of comfort and pedaling efficiency. For fun, 5-6 inchesis great fun. My friend rides a Nomad and he is having fun. For me I am just getting use to the switch to full suspension bike. I use to ride a hard tail in TMS. That was perfectly fun too.

10 years 11 months ago #1354 by yeti575
Replied by yeti575 on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
maybe my username will present some bias as to brand selection.. but the new yeti ASR 5C is well worth a look :) Get yourself a killer frame and then build it up with a spec price you are comfortable with. You can always upgrade bits and pieces as you go along...and that way you can convince yourself you haven't just dropped 40-50K on something that doesn't even have an engine!!!

10 years 11 months ago #1352 by bob
Replied by bob on topic 4 or 5 inches in Hong Kong?
yep, too pricey for me too! That's why I stick to the -8's.
Like you said, can't go far wrong with a Giant either.
One thing I put on my Remedy is a Joplin seatpost with remote. No problems so far and the bit of extra weight is worth optimising seat height while maintaining the flow. I rode the EX today and really missed the convenience.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.