× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Bike for Beginner on a Budget

11 years 3 months ago #1218 by tom
Replied by tom on topic Bike for Beginner on a Budget
Pocky,

Be patient.

I refuse to purchase a bike without having had a ride on one that is my size beforehand...this has limited my selection, but at least there are not too many surprises. I cant believe so many folks here buy then try...

Sizing and quality of the frame are most important especially if you are 95kg. I know a professional bike fitter who complains constantly that people in HK often end up being sold bikes from the top shops in town that simply dont fit them, even after laying down over 50k. Find a frame and size that lets you ride and breath comfortably without your knees knocking the controls, wont strain your back or put you in an uncomfortable position. You should also be able to get your body behind the seat to handle technical descents... and in HK we have lots of these!

Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #1217 by pocky
Replied by pocky on topic Bike for Beginner on a Budget
Hi Everyone!

I think I might do just that Steve, try out the Iguanas at YY Bike, and find the size that fit me, most probably a Small. The comments on the net is good about the Iguana, lots of people build it up and upgrading as the components wear, and it sounds like it would fit my bill anyway. I'm pretty sure the Iguana comes with a Avid Juicy 3 from Mong Kok Pro Bikes, but the fork is definitely too soft, because I'm 95kg. It's at $4980, which doesn't sound too bad to me. Should I look for anything specifically when I check out a bike? (obvious question, but I'm not too sure, thats why I'm asking :silly: )

Tom: I believe Steve is very skilled from what it appears to be. He has transcended above the limits of types of bikes, but I wondered if he can do a downhill run with a BMX? :P Jokes aside I've looked on www.28bike.com and found a Merida that I liked, and at $5000, but I wish I can grow to 6ft overnight... :dry:

Steve and Tom: thanks for the contributions, keep them coming- I can't learn too much :)

Thanks in advance

11 years 3 months ago #1216 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Bike for Beginner on a Budget
Get yourself off to YY Bike near Fo Tan MTR, they have Iguanas for rent, take one out for the a few hours you'll really get a good idea exactly what size feels right and how it feels after a few hours.

Avid Juicy 3's are a superb brake, i've got them on three different bikes and they've never let me down!

Come the really wet weather on a sandy trail you'll soon realise disc brake pads wear almost as quick as V-brakes though!

Also ask shops if they do discounts for last years models, i've bought a number of bargains this way.

11 years 3 months ago #1215 by tom
Replied by tom on topic Bike for Beginner on a Budget
Anyone who has been for a ride with Steve quickly realizes that he can ride anything down any trail....

If you are planning on the following the upgrade path then at least get a bike with a good frame that you will want to keep in the long run. If possible, take the bike for a test ride around the block to get a sense of the size and handling. Many shops here have a bad rep for selling bikes to people (even experienced riders) that are the wrong size.

One lesson that I have learned is to spend a little bit more to get something that more closely meets what you want... or what you think you will need as you get more experienced. Upgrading parts is a pain and very expensive.

The second hand bike market is healthy here too so check out the HKMBA classifieds and especially www.28bike.com too.

Good Luck!

11 years 3 months ago #1214 by pocky
Replied by pocky on topic Bike for Beginner on a Budget
Hi,

I suppose there aren't much difference (when set up right) between v-brakes and discs under normal use, but I have been told a while back, a friend of mine speaking from experience does recommend disc over v-brakes because when you get dirt, wet mud and junk on the rims, the v-brakes are not as powerful, but thats what I have been told. I've tried both v-brakes and discs, and to be honest I like the discs more, especially the Avid Juicy which I tried a long time ago, literally moons ago.

I'm afraid I live in Quarry Bay, so there isn't much opportunities that I get to travel to Tung Chung, and I'm relatively new to the Hong Kong scene, so I might be missing some must-go shops out there. I'm planning to go to Flying Ball possibly tomorrow, but can you guys advise me if they cater for beginners on a budget, because what I see on their website doesn't look too budget friendly. :S Is anybody going to Flying Ball tomorrow, which can possibly give me advise on choosing a bike within my budget? ($4000-5000)

The 'best' bike that I have only seen that would JUST about fit into my budget is the Giant Iguana with Avid Juicy brakes and Shimano drive chain components. The fork felt too soft for now, but I will eventually replace it soon (if I buy it), and the saddle WILL be replaced VERY VERY soon, its rock solid and the potential danger to my jewels is... :ohmy: Bearing in mind that my focus is on xc, no dirt jumps and 6ft drops yet, that bike seemed to fit the bill, and the reviews online made it look like a nice bike to upgrade on. Tried it on, and the geometry felt good to me, but weird, because I was wearing jeans. :unsure: - not the greatest clothing to ride with...

The 'Mt. Fuji Comp' sounds interesting, is it the carbon frame one? It sounds good to me, but forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical about the v-brakes. :blush:

Thanks in Advance ;)

11 years 3 months ago #1213 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Bike for Beginner on a Budget
Yes going for a hardtail in this price range is a sensible choice, I've tested a few over the past six months with a view to buying so have a fare idea what your up against.

You will find 'Big' name brands like Specialized, Cannondale, Trek (but to a lesser extent Giant) in this price range won't be as highly equipped as the slightly more obscure brands like Fuji or Hasa. -As components make up a substantial part of the bike in terms of cost, weight and comfort then maybe start looking more closely here.

A 'Mt. Fuji Comp' I saw recently at Mountain Bike Shop Tung Chung came with a Rockshox Tora fork, Single digit V-brakes, Truvativ Firex crank and X9 Fr/Rear derailleurs all for just $4700!

Whilst disc brakes are steadily taking over all levels of Mountain Bike I still have V-brakes on a couple of bikes. As long as they're set up right you'll be surprised how little effort you need and they weigh alot less!

11 years 3 months ago #1212 by pocky
Bike for Beginner on a Budget was created by pocky
Hi all!, :woohoo:

Let me introduce myself- I'm new to mtb'ing in Hong Kong, and have done a little in the UK, but I have a few months off while I wait to go to Australia... I want to get back into mountain biking again, after being too preoccupied with school and gliding in the UK, but I would like to purchase a bike first, which guides me into the point nicely...

I have a budget of around HKD$4000-$5000, and I have looked at a bike that I liked at Mong Kok Pro Bike today, a Giant Iguana disc, at $4980, which seemed not bad, with hydraulic brakes and 28 speed Shimano Deore. I can consider myself new at this sport, so I need all the advises that I can get :) I would like a hardtail, which is bang for the buck, and I can always upgrade later, but would like one from a repectable brand. I've looked at Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc and Cannondale F5 in the UK, but thats a long time ago. Anybody that can chuck more idea for me in the pot?

Thanks in advance ;)

pocky

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.