× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Best Hong Kong Wheel Builder

11 years 2 months ago #1236 by StanleyJ
Replied by StanleyJ on topic Best Hong Kong Wheel Builder
Just a correction. Galvanic corrosion will happen as long as the metals are dissimilar, so what can happen with Alu (hard white aluminium oxide) can also happen with brass (powdery green-to-black copper oxide). Also, galvanic corrosion requires an electrolyte and pure water (ie: water from humid atmosphere) wouldn't actually do much. Add some salt to the equation (like ride near the beach where there's sea-spray) and corrosion will happen.

The trick here is to use something to resist corrosion and this is what anti-sieze compound is for. Whilst aimed at Alu/Titanium alloys interfacing with steel, nothing to stop you using it on brass. So in all, with experienced wheel builders, they'd be able to make strong long lasting wheels with either (and whenever I've ever broken a wheel, its been at the J-bend of the spoke...). The difference is that the less-soft brass nipples are easier to work with.

I'd personally recommend in being able to build/re-true you own wheels and Roger Musson's e-Book is a bargin at HKD110:

www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

... and reviews here:

www.mtbr.com/cat/resources/book/roger-mu...D_417244_103crx.aspx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago #1234 by jmeyer61
Replied by jmeyer61 on topic Best Hong Kong Wheel Builder
Yeah, I had the wheels built at The Flying Ball, and it sounds like it's standard practice over there for them to use brass nipples.

Also, just had a friend get wheels built at Friendly Bike Shop in Mui Wo, and on our first ride out on Dragon's Back, they got all wobbly and loose. Ride over. He went back, had them rebuilt, and in the first part of the ride, the same thing happened.

They've provided good service at good prices for other, smaller mechanical issues, but I won't get wheels built there.

You make the call.

11 years 2 months ago #1233 by Heero
Replied by Heero on topic Best Hong Kong Wheel Builder
Well, I don't know who's the best wheel builder in HK. To me Flying Ball is the best bikeshop in HK, in terms of selection & professionalism. I brought a frame with a list of parts selection of my own to build up my bike there about a year ago. I was having aluminum nipples on my list because I want it colorful. They explained to my the pros & cons about aluminum vs brass nipples, and I chose brass at the end. Today my wheels are still true and strong. You might want to go there to have a look and talk to them.

11 years 3 months ago #1219 by Jeff
Replied by Jeff on topic Best Hong Kong Wheel Builder
There are a couple of misconceptions that should be cleared up here:

The reason most wheels use brass nipples is that brass is less likely to seize into the aluminium rim. Aluminium nipples are much more likely to seize from galvanic action and lead to problems (rounded nipples) when re-truing the wheel. Given that Hong Kong is stinking humid for most of the year and that galvanic action is exacerbated by humidity, brass is still the wiser choice locally. 'Strength' is not an issue.

Straight gauge spokes are stronger than butted spokes, which is why they are still used where strength over lightness is desired (e.g. DH wheelsets). Butted spokes are weaker, but as they elongate more easily and spread load to neighbouring spokes, are fine for most riding applications.

If someone is going for custom built wheels in HK, the most sensible choice for most applications would be brass nipples and butted spokes.

11 years 3 months ago #1211 by Kev Fiske
Replied by Kev Fiske on topic Best Hong Kong Wheel Builder
Hi there, if you didn't already get it built make sure you check what nipples they will use - aluminium is becoming more popular due to weight and colour options nowerdays but you compromise wheel strength, brass nipples whilst 'heavier' (no idea how much) tend to give a stronger build... Also for the spokes go double butted - lighter but stronger... go figure.

11 years 3 months ago #1201 by jmeyer61
Replied by jmeyer61 on topic Best Hong Kong Wheel Builder
I had my wheel built at Flying Ball. I had a hub and rim already, so the wheel build plus DT Swiss spokes and nipples was under $400. That's a great price, and not anywhere near what you'd pay in the US.

Flying Ball rocked. Try them out.

11 years 4 months ago #1192 by psycholist
Replied by psycholist on topic Best Hong Kong Wheel Builder
Good question! (and one I have often asked myself over the years).

From my experience (going back to the 90's, and of those still around), Au Yeung who runs Wing's in Fa Yuen St., near Prince Edward MTR (tel. 2381 2365) has always built good wheels, but they have always been road wheels. I am sure his ability extends to MTB wheelsets too though.

Ah Dat in Yiu Tung St., (just north of the Tai Po Road, and south east of Nam Cheong St., in Sham Shui Po, (tel. 9381 7772), has also built good wheels over the years for me and a friend, but, again, road wheelsets, not MTB, but again, should be no problem.

Be interesting to hear others experiences as i also have a bad build experience from elsewhere...

;-?

11 years 4 months ago #1191 by jmeyer61
Best Hong Kong Wheel Builder was created by jmeyer61
Hello:

I need to have a wheel built in here in HK. I already have all the parts. Is there a reputable/best wheel builder here in Hong Kong?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Jesse

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.