× Talking dirty 隨意發言

visiting Hong Kong

11 years 1 month ago #614 by Seb
Replied by Seb on topic visiting Hong Kong
Hi Guys,
my trip in HK is over, it was quite an exotic mountain bike experience. As a visitor for a visitor, I recommand the Chi Ma Wan peninsula ride which is the easiest way to ride, since it is the only place where I found a bike rental…
From Central HK, take the boat to Lantau ; 300m from the Mui Wo (Lantau) boat stop, very easy to find Friendly Bike Shop. Bike rental costs 150HK$, plus 200HK$ deposit, for an old basic Giant. And right away you are on the trail! And once you have passed the prison, you are into the wild, above nice beaches, the only noise comes from speed boat or helicopter shuttles for Macao.
If I come back to HK, I will try to find a bike rental in Kowloon to go to Tai Lam Ctry pk...
But now I am back home in french alps, no more bike because of nice cold snow to start this winter…!
And thanks to you guys for all the informations which helped me a lot to discover the area.
Cheers
Seb
ps : I tried to upload a few photos but it looks like it didn't work... I'll try again later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago #553 by hptaccv
Replied by hptaccv on topic visiting Hong Kong
Hi,
sorry, didn't get around to replying...

e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. worked really well, two days later I picked up the permit, so they do check their mail...

Taxis; I generally took out the wheels, dropped these in the Trunk, and took the frame to my knees in the back seat. This was perfectly comfortable and never had any problems.

have fun!

11 years 2 months ago #551 by polmacd
Replied by polmacd on topic visiting Hong Kong
Thanks for the info. I think I will try the Lantau trail. It looks hassle free option, the plan is to take the ferry, walk to the bike shop, rent the bike from Jackie and off I go.
I will have to try the Tai Mo Shan some other time; it needs more organising and more cash. I need to find a bike hire on Kowloon side, get the van sorted etc.

Thanks again,

11 years 2 months ago #532 by jezblanchard
Replied by jezblanchard on topic visiting Hong Kong
Hi,

Dec is a perfect time to visit and ride.

Re the Permit, yes use your Passport No instead of an ID no. I think you'd be best faxing this to the number on the form or go to the afcd web site and finding an email address from there. Fax is still very popular here as local calls are free.

taxi's and vans, generally good, but can be hit or miss. Taxi's not always happy to take a messy bike, and often they have a bucket/ box/ junk in the trunk that stops you getting your bike in there. Vans for any distance are the best option IMOP.

My favourite trails are in Tai lam country Park, an area we refer to collectively as Tai Mo Shan ( which is the name of the mountain ), thats Gravity orientated Tech riding, however Lantau and Lamma offer good XC riding, depends what you enjoy riding. What ever, roots, rocks and steeps are pretty unavoidable here.

hope this helps.

Jez

11 years 2 months ago #529 by polmacd
Replied by polmacd on topic visiting Hong Kong
Some advice

Hi,

I am very interested in more details.
I am planning to do similar thing in the beginning of December (maybe first time I am going to hire a bike)

I have some questions regarding the permit application. Did you fill in the HK identity ID number with an alternative number, like a passport one?
I am going to send it to them and hopefully I can get my colleague to pick it up.

Also you mentioned that you have emailed it, which email did you use?

Lastly, did you use the taxi or the van service to get you to and from the trails, how was the experience?

I would love to hear from you.

P.S let me know which one was your most favourite trail.

11 years 2 months ago #456 by kenneth
Replied by kenneth on topic visiting Hong Kong
I hope you enjoy riding at HK.

We hope you can take some picture and share your experience of HK riding at here again!!

Cheers,
Kenneth

11 years 2 months ago #454 by Seb
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your information ; I will also check others shops advised on this site.
Anyway, I already have my permit ready in HKG, I had the application sent by a friend, he received it within 2 or 3 days.
And I already printed several trails maps from this site, so I 'm almost ready to go! Thanks a lot to HKMBA, I will feed back with my experience as a visitor!
Cheers!

11 years 2 months ago #443 by hptaccv
Replied by hptaccv on topic visiting Hong Kong
Hi,

yep, had a friend along who rented from Jackie. 200HKD deposit and I think around 150HKD for a day for a rideable but basic bike.
Simple model from Trek with an rst fork and standard pedals.

11 years 2 months ago #442 by jezblanchard
Replied by jezblanchard on topic visiting Hong Kong
Hi Seb, i know that Jackie at Friendly bike shop on Lantau rents bikes out and beleive the other shop in Mui Wo does too, but i've never been there so can't comment. Its at the starting point for the Chi Ma Wan trail on Lantau.

11 years 2 months ago #440 by Seb
Hi Guys,

I am also visiting HKG in november, but I cannot bring my bike... so could someone give a piece of advice for a place to rent a mtbike? which shops from the list given on this site do some rental?
Thanks,
Seb

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.