× Trails 越野路徑

Friendly Bike Lantau no longer renting bikes

6 years 9 months ago #2497 by ang
I called them last year about bike rental and they said no.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago #2494 by YW-Slayer
Replied by YW-Slayer on topic Friendly Bike Lantau no longer renting bikes
Just noticed this bit about Hong Kong Bicycle renting bikes. As they are in North Point, does anyone know if they are still doing rentals? Would be good to put this up to deal with questions about bike rental on HK island.

9 years 6 months ago #975 by donkeyman
Replied by donkeyman on topic Friendly Bike Lantau no longer renting bikes
Yes that was me. I hired a Scott from HK Bicycle Company for a visiting friend. It was a very good bike. It saw Dragon Back, Tai Lam Chung Reservoir and it also did the AA Race at Chi Ma Wan.

HK Bicycle company gave it a thorough inspection and only a charged a minimal amount for some damage from the race. As I said previously, very nice guys to deal with.

Incidentally the friend was very impressed by HK MTB tracks and absolutely loved Chi Ma Wan. HK has great potential for MTB tourism.

9 years 6 months ago #972 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Friendly Bike Lantau no longer renting bikes
Yes Sunny at 'Mountain Bike Shop' in Old Tung Chung has a number of decent hardtails, mainly Giant ATX's and one small Anthem, a couple even have hydraulic disc brakes as well.

Rental price last time I asked was $100 a day.(closed tuesday)

Now all we need is for the Ag & Fish to move Chi Ma Wan trail to North Lantau!

9 years 6 months ago #971 by tom
Actually, no. A poster named donkeyman wrote in the flying ball rocks, BW sucks thread that he rented a Scott MTB from here:

... HK Bicycle Company. Very friendly shop and place to go if you want a Scott Bicycle. Another alternative for HK Islanders. shop B, 6-8 Fort Street, North Point. Right next to Car Land if you want to get your car washed at the same time

www.hkcycle.com/

Unless you want to to ride Chi Ma Wan, HK Island is probably a better location for rentals than Jackie's on Lantau. This makes it easier for renters to explore far off places like TMS or Lamma...

9 years 6 months ago #970 by Jeff
That sucks quite a lot, and is quite a blow for the future of mountain biking in Hong Kong- I'm sure that Jacky's rental bikes were a route into the sport for many a HK rider.

Does this leave Sunny as the only place one can rent a reasonable bike in Hong Kong?

9 years 6 months ago #965 by mirkin
Dam this is really sad!
freindly was the only descent shop to hire bikes

and what will all the adventure racers do now - this could be yet another nail in the coffin for the sports we love

mirkin

9 years 6 months ago #963 by bikesteve
Yep sad but true, Friendly Bike owners Jacky & Winnie are no longer renting entry level MTB bikes for visitors hoping to ride Chi Ma Wan and beyond.

Reasons cited: Bikes often returned covered in mud (largely due to current coastal pipe works), bikes frequently returned trashed or not at all in some cases as riders were unable to fix a simple problem or be willing to walk the bike back and more recently being on the recieving end of a torrent of verbal abuse about the condition of the bikes in front of a shop full of customers.

A real shame to hear this happening as Jacky as most of us seasoned bikers know goes to extraordinary lengths to keep riders happy.

The rental price of just $150 a day clearly just doesn't seem to justify all of the above trouble and who can really blame them for this move. I've frequently rented Friendly's bikes and as with anywhere else in the world I always check to make sure everythings in order before I leave the shop not 10km round Chi Ma Wan realising the tire was flat to begin with, bottom line is you got what you paid for, an entry level machine.

Steve

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.441 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.