× Trails 越野路徑

Tai mo shan; from a beginners point of view.

9 years 10 months ago #636 by tinyminigenie
Replied by tinyminigenie on topic Tai mo shan; from a beginners point of view.
jeff,

thx a lot for the invitation. unfortunately, i have a friend visiting from overseas so i'm not free this weekend. in any case, i still need to apply for a biking permit. so may be next time.

ratcat,

my protective parents won't let me get on Dragon Back. they say it looks way too dangerous. i'm not sure whether they are referring to the tough section that is not too beginner friendly. i have hiked there but i haven't seen the MTB trail myself so i can't really argue with them.

anyway, i guess i have to start with tung chung or mui wo where there are shops for mtb rentals. thx for pointing out the shops to me. i'll definitely check them out!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #635 by ratcat
ok....good good cause if we ever go for a ride on Dragon's Back I can leave you a message. Me and a few of my riding mates often go there in the morning and a few of them have more then one bike so I am sure something can be arranged if you want to ride with us....
I just came back from riding on HK trail at a section called Lady Clemet ride. Particualrly good XC course but can only be accessed after the AFCD officials are gone.

9 years 10 months ago #634 by Jeff
It's pretty easy to bring a bike to HK from Oz, so long as you can get a ride to the airport on the Oz side. Most airlines are fine with letting bikes on, and once you get to HK you can roll the bike onto the Airport Express and load it onto a taxi at HK Station.

Anyway, easy rides in HK would be either Tai Lam reservoir or the Quarry ride on Lamma. However, both are far from bike hire places.

If you hire from Friendly Bikes in Mui Wo, CMW is the closest trail. If you hire from Sunny in Tung Chung, you can ride the path to Tai O (mostly concrete but scenic, with only a small amount of easy trail riding towards the end). The Tai O ride should only be done weekdays or early Saturday as it's also a popular hiking trail.

9 years 11 months ago #633 by tinyminigenie
thx. I live on HK Island. The thing is that I am a beginner rider who doesn't have a car and I doesn't own a mountain bike in HK, so I'm confined to trying an open trail that is close to a mtb bike shop and is easily accessible by public transport. it's a bit tricky.

9 years 11 months ago #631 by ratcat
well, in HK side there is sir Ceceil ride. In NT there is Tai Lam Reservoir. Where do you live?

9 years 11 months ago #630 by tinyminigenie
Thanks for the info. I looked up the cycling shop in Lantau that you mentioned. The hires look pretty good but I am worried that the Chi Ma Wan trail is too daunting for me. Is there anything good for a beginner at Lantau? My parents are also very protective and they won't let me go to Dragon Back because it looks too dangerous. What is the easiest MTB trail that I can get on to?

9 years 11 months ago #629 by ratcat
well, I think there is a place to rent a fairly decent bike in Lantau. There you can try the very daunting and dishearting Chi Ma Wan. The best ride in HK is for sure TMS. But I feel doing mountain, the bike is very important. It is somehting very personal to the rider. Maybe if you visit HK often, you can just get a nice hardtail here and store it at your parent's place. I heard Flying Ball Cycles will have a nice Christmas sell, you might be able to get a nice Cannondale for a very reasonable price. Also you can try getting a nice second hand bike on 28bike.com.
If you have a bike HK side have a few nice trails but only Dragon Back is legal.

9 years 11 months ago #628 by tinyminigenie
Hi Jan!

Thanks for sharing your experience of riding in HK as a beginner. I am also a beginner in MTB. I've only started riding in oct this year in Australia. I am back in HK right now to visit my family as I always come back to HK during university holidays. I am interested in getting some MTB practice while I am here. However, I obviously couldn't bring back my own mountain bike from Australia every time I come back. Do you know where I can hire/ borrow a small size hard tail mountain bike in HK? I also don't feel safe riding alone, but I don't have any friends who are into this kind of sport. Can you give me some advice about how to get involved in a bit of MTB exercises in HK?

genie

10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #479 by Jan Ayalin
I have been mountain biking for over a little less than one year now, but i could say that it has been these past two months that i have really picked up on the number of my bike rides, since i have started using Tai lam.
On my first year i have been riding chi ma wan, practically for the reason of economy and accessibility from central, ferry fare is pretty cheap.
But i could say that from a beginners point of view, chi ma wan is pretty disheartening, it is pretty difficult and it has the tendency of causing disinterest into the sport specially to the recreational rider. It is quite hard in terms of developing strength and practicing skills from chi ma wan level.

Then thank goodness there's tai lam, which has been more accessible when i started to ride with other people from central that i can share a van with. I mean its not cheap dishing out by yourself a back and forth van ride from central.

This saturday I ventured out further starting from tai mo shan, (after reading the latest HKMBA article), and i could say that the Ho Pui trail is one great trail... except for some really non-rideable sections, well at least for beginners.
From Kap Lung to Ho pui is good but a little bit daunting, mainly for the reason of the trails' steep drop on the right side, for somebody riding it for the first time, it is really good to tackle it with much caution, confidence and great balance, a spill could end up on the bottom. The highlight of the ride was when i got to the Ho Pui loop.... which is very enjoyable and has been a really good workout, i mean one could tackle it with much more speed, therefore making the obstacles easy to overcome, the rock gardens we're great for honing skills, and the descent was just right for developing confidence for further rides...

And of course it connects to the Tai lam reservoir, and then for easy pick-up at Gold Coast. Overall i could say that it is one good ride, which could leave you asking for more at the end of the ride.

It is just too bad that AFCD doesn't have any intentions of improving most of the sections... and creating a better biking trail, one that could be used even by recreational riders. Also even from a Hikers point of view, some of the sections are pretty much dangerous. I have been hiking a lot as well and i think that AFCD only pays attention to trails that are popular.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.