× Trails 越野路徑

Dragon's Back Improvement

5 years 8 months ago #3195 by YW-Slayer
Replied by YW-Slayer on topic Dragon's Back Improvement
Probably around the same area, actually. I was nearing the intersection with the ridge line and noticed I was sliding out around corners. So it was about 15 minutes into the ride, I think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #3194 by ang
Replied by ang on topic Dragon's Back Improvement
You got a flat too? Where at?

IMHO, the rough section that has been taken out was a nice speed bump for MTBer. It was not as difficult as the 1st rock crossing and it definitely slow the bike down and just a nice safety feature.

The ridge line has seen more soil erosion than the contour trail as alot of the washed out steps are pretty much hike-a-bike sections unless you're very very familiar with the right line and you're running a long travel bike. I'd rather have AFCD to rock-armour the ridge line.

5 years 9 months ago #3193 by YW-Slayer
Well, it's encouraging to hear that I wasn't the only one who flatted on Saturday on the DB! Ha ha

5 years 9 months ago #3192 by ang
Rode it the second time this morning, after clearing the first rock crossing, the trail was flat and wide and fast, until hitting the square edge rock, then got a flat, haha. Missed the rough rock crossing.

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #3167 by YW-Slayer
Ah, I see.

I should point out that the parking areas you have mentioned are not exactly legal, since there are no parking bays (in my experience you can be ticketed for parking in HK even if there is no single or double yellow line). So one always runs the risk of being ticketed...

One could say that it will be "safer" in that sense if one does not go during "peak hours" for the Cape Collinson crematorium etc. Examples of unsafe periods are a sunny nice Saturday weekend late morning/early afternoon or (more obviously) near Ching Ming when people are going to "bai sun" at the columbarium/cemeteries nearby. Examples of safe periods are pre-7am on a wet, windy day (which also has the benefit of ensuring that hardly any hikers/runners/other bikers will be on the trail :laugh: - well, apart from people like ang and I).

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #3163 by ang
YW, I rode it on Sunday morning, started at 7:30am at the trail head.

Haha, mixed feeling with the flattening of trail since I can manage to clear the rock crossing recently on a 160mm travel FS bike. I could not clean it with the old Trek Fuel.

About the ridge line, I think doing it clockwise is the best with some steep drops near the end of the loop. I hate to carry the bike up the washed out steps tho, it takes about 15 min to hike the bike up to the ridge line.

Since the prison has put up a gate, now you cannot park near the prison. However, there are public parking along Cape Collison Roard, just next to the cemetery.

5 years 9 months ago #3162 by YW-Slayer
On the plus side, these mods mean that it's getting better.

Anyway, I may try and do an early morning session one weekday. That's the best way to get a good run in, unless of course one goes at night.

5 years 9 months ago #3161 by Pk101
Replied by Pk101 on topic Dragon's Back Improvement
Will probably ride it soon if works are underway...dont want to miss out on the original features as I dont get out that way too often.

Thanks for the help.

5 years 9 months ago #3160 by YW-Slayer
There is a "NO BIKES ALLOWED" trail which starts off near the start of the DB, but for obvious reasons I've never been on it. I think it goes through some villages.

IMO, the best riding along the Contour Trail is actually from the Shek O portion until the intersection with the Ridge Trail which is closer to Cape Collinson. I've only ever ridden the Ridge in the CC to Shek O direction, so can't comment on the reverse, although from looking at it I think riding in reverse really woudl not be any fun at all!

It's not actually that short. A full loop along the Contour trail from Cape Collinson to the end and back should take around 40-50 minutes, although that does include the less-fun parts near the Cape Collinson part (and before you get to the intersection with the Ridge). In fact, the Strava record is 36 minutes - see app.strava.com/activities/37193935#597791490 On Saturday I took it in quite a leisurely fashion with a lot of stops to let hikers/walkers past and it took me around 1 hour.

While traffic on the trail is quite high, almost all of the hikers/walkers are friendly to bikers and vice-versa, although of course there are always bad apples of all types.

5 years 9 months ago #3159 by Pk101
Replied by Pk101 on topic Dragon's Back Improvement
Ive always wanted to try it but worried it will all be over too soon.

If you were to do a loop, which side is better to park a car and start from, cape collinson side or shek O road side?

Ive also seen guys with FS bikes cycling up from big wave bay, is there a cheeky trail from end of cape collinson down to the beach?

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.