× Trails 越野路徑

Best Trails to Ride with Children

7 years 5 days ago #2203 by ang
Replied by ang on topic Best Trails to Ride with Children
Oh, you walked down the steps to Shek O Road? We usually go back to the trail head on the same contour trail.

Tai Lam is easier than Dragon's Back with more flat paths.

Does the SB-66 use regular bottom bracket?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 5 days ago #2202 by pengsw
Replied by pengsw on topic Best Trails to Ride with Children
Did the Contour Trail with my 8 year old on Sunday. Unfortunately, we went in the afternoon on a beautiful day so there were too many hikers. More rocky stream beds than I expected and a long walk down a bunch of steps to Shek O Road at the end. But he had a great time. It was also my first serious ride on my Yeti SB-66. What an awesome bike!

Will try Tai Lam and Tai Mo Shan soon.

Thanks ang and bikesteve for your advice.

7 years 4 weeks ago #2174 by donkeyman
Replied by donkeyman on topic Best Trails to Ride with Children
Agree with Ang that the contour trail is the easiest but strongly recommend that you avoid Sundays and go in the morning on Saturdays because of the number of hikers and trail runners.

The second half (Shek O) side is quite easy and fun. Don't get disheartened by all the stream crossings at the first half.

The TMS beginner trails are good too and are available all weekend.

7 years 1 month ago #2158 by ang
pengsw,

Park you vehicle in one of the parking space on the small road leading to the prison. Unload the bikes and walk 10 minutes to the trail head.

The contour path is relatively flat with a few stream crossings that you need to carry the bike.
http://www.hkmba.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=66

If your kid is riding a 24"/26" wheeler w/ front suspension, then should be no problem.

Last time my 9 year old & I started from the MTR station, climbed / pushed up Cape Collison Road, only did a quarter of the offroad trail. He was on a 20" wheel folder with rigid fork and knobby tires.

7 years 1 month ago #2157 by pengsw
Thank you again.

bikesteve. Dragon's Back Contour is the easier path, right? Will definitely have my son wear knee and elbow pads. If the drops are too big, could we carry our bikes when the going gets tough. I am beginning to worry that the trail may be too difficult for my 12 year old son.

ang. Would you please provide me with a bit more clarity in terms of where I should start to avoid the hard climbs and steps? Also where should I finish, or do I do a loop? How long would the whole ride take if we are riding casually?

7 years 1 month ago #2156 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Best Trails to Ride with Children
Do seriously consider investing in knee/shin & elbow pads espiecially for tackling Dragons back contour.
The stream crossings with one sided steep drops early on are plentiful, wearing pads often means the difference between just bouncing off a rock or having a trip finish early with severely grazed limbs!

7 years 1 month ago #2155 by ang
There're lots of hikers on Sunday.

Suggest to ride Dragon's Back on Saturday or go early on Sunday morning.

7 years 1 month ago #2154 by pengsw
Thanks, Guys! Maybe I'll give ang's recommendation a try this weekend and then give bikesteve's suggestion a shot on an upcoming weekend.

7 years 1 month ago #2153 by ang
You can park near the trail head to skip the hill climb of Cape Collison Road.

Just do the contour path, avoid the steps which requires more than 15 minutes of carrying, no fun to a kid.

7 years 1 month ago #2152 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Best Trails to Ride with Children
The two purpose built beginner trails out at Tai Mo Shan are ideal, scroll down on the front page of this site and you should see them being built.

They're reached by car, park at the Tai Mo Shan main car park then head accross the road (Route Twisk) and up a flight of steps.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.511 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.