× Trails 越野路徑

Is it okay to share the trail with hikers??!!!

7 years 9 months ago #1697 by biker2010
Replied by biker2010 on topic Is it okay to share the trail with hikers??!!!
Thanks very much for your advice.
Atually there are 10 legitamate moutain bike , but after i consult the AFCD 's statistic and they claim the most frequent used trail top three is that three trail
and therefore, if really has conflcit between hikers and bikers would be in such three trail. therefore, this time my reseach was done on that three trail. i trust majority of moutnain bikers should play those ho pui, tai lam trail and they should have some comment on the sharing of trail in hong kong situation

on the other hand, it is really a fact that AFCD do not have much sport related professioanl , lot of my classmate go to sport related field to work, NGO, Leisure culture service dpeartment, natioanl sport association etc. Therefore, it would be a good for HKMBA to give partical advice to AFCD in development and management of trail for the best use of resources and balance the pros and cons between the recreationalists' enjoyment and environmental conservation and also good management of conflcit between recreationalists (if any) . lot of things actually can be done, eg. education, signage, make more round shaped trail for bikers use etc.

anyway, thanks for support in filling questionnaire and sincere advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 9 months ago #1696 by tom
Dear Biker2010,

Over the past few years the HKMBA have learned that the Achilles heel of the AFCD is their understanding & management of outdoor recreation activities including both hiking and mountain biking. The Country Park's Ordinance stipulates that one of duties of the country parks authority is encourage their use and development for recreation and yet the AFCD have no recreation expertise on staff --- or at least none who are involved with mountain biking issues.

I noticed that the first question may limit the response to your survey:

Which mountain trail did you use today?
Tai Lam Mountain Bike Trail (Tin Fu Tsai, Tai Tong, Ho Pui, Siu Lam)
Sai Kung West Country Park Mountain Bike Trail (Wan Tsai Extension)
Sai Kung West Country Park Mountain Bike Trail (Footpath between Hoi Ha Village and Wan Tsai Peninsula)

There are several other MTB trails (ie., Chi Man Wan) that could have been included or perhaps you could add an other choice with a text box to explain what trail. Was this by intent? Also the use of the word "today" could be replaced with "recently" seeing as many people may not see your survey until too late.

I would like to put a little story up on the front page about this (including link to survey) and if you could tell us more about yourself (in both chinese and english) and also we would be happy to post a story later on with your findings. Feel free to contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

7 years 9 months ago #1695 by ang
The English version is working properly :)

7 years 9 months ago #1694 by biker2010
biker2010 wrote:

DEAR all smart bikers,

i have formulated the ENGLISH version of questionanire on analysing the recreational conflict on mountain bikers and hikers on moutanin trails. (master of sport and leisure management graduation project)

Please use one of your experiecnes to fill the questionaires

I need your help, the result can give government some idea how to manage and develop future trail

THE LINK is www.my3q.com/survey/346/biker2010/8101.phtml

PLEASE express your view and support

THX A LOT

7 years 9 months ago #1686 by biker2010
DEAR all smart bikers,

i have formulated the ENGLISH version of questionanire on analysing the recreational conflict on mountain bikers and hikers on moutanin trails. (master of sport and leisure management graduation project)

Please use one of your experiecnes to fill the questionaires

THE LINK is www.my3q.com/survey/346/biker2010/8101.phtml

PLEASE express your view and support

THX A LOT

7 years 9 months ago #1681 by biker2010
dear all,

i am making the english version of questionniares and will be posted soon,

i hereby thanks a lot for your support in advanced.

As the statistic made by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department | 漁農自然護理署 the top three famous moutain trial are Tai lam trail,(ho pui) and Hoi Ha trail (has two division), so, my reseach desertation focused on these three trail instead of analyse other trail like Lamtau Island trail.

thx

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #1680 by ang
Your first question only gives 3 choices among Tai Lam and Sai Kung trail. How about HK Island's Dragon's Back which is the only mountain bike trail on the Island?

Question 8 & 9 seems to be asking the same thing.

The "Comment" section at the end is not working. I cant input anything.

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #1679 by StanleyJ
Replied by StanleyJ on topic Is it okay to share the trail with hikers??!!!
Ditto Steve on the fact hikers are generally friendly (and an English version of the questionnaire). What I've had problems with on the trails (or more specifically access roads which double hiker & MTB trails) are the fact contractor vehicles (vans/trucks) have a habit of speeding (30kph+). Occasionally private cars as well.

7 years 9 months ago #1678 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Is it okay to share the trail with hikers??!!!
Any chance you can give us an English version as well?, i'm sure alot of us on here would love to contribute...

I'm sure I speak for many when I say that the majority of the hikers i've encountered in HK have been extremely friendly and welcome the fact i've slowed down or stopped to let them pass by..

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #1677 by biker2010
i am Bu master student studying the recreational conflict if exist in hong kong moutnain trail and see if need to build more legitamate moutnain trail for bikers' use. Please take some time to feel the questionnaire . i need Your Help thx a lot

the english link is THE LINK is www.my3q.com/survey/346/biker2010/8101.phtml

各靚仔靚女請幫幫手填一份問卷 關於行山人仕同越野單車手應否用同一條行山徑
結果 可以比政府及體育系知道 怎管理好行山徑 請幫忙 thanks

條link 係 www.my3q.com/survey/346/biker2010/49961.phtml

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.633 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.