× Trails 越野路徑

Shek O Country Park (Hong Kong Trail)

8 years 5 months ago #1409 by ang
Replied by ang on topic Shek O Country Park (Hong Kong Trail)
For last Saturday, it was cloudy but no rain for the whole day. Trail was wet tho.

So if there's no rain tomorrow morning, I'll head to the trail.

Anybody going ? :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #1405 by daiski
Replied by daiski on topic Shek O Country Park (Hong Kong Trail)
hey ang, let me know if you're heading up next saturday. I have a friend who may head up with me next week.

8 years 5 months ago #1404 by pbaguas
Replied by pbaguas on topic Shek O Country Park (Hong Kong Trail)
Unfortunately it looks like we'll still have lousy weather this weekend according to the HKG observatory. I enter thru the correctional institute entrance along Shek O Road. There's a paved entrance around the curb and several metres along this is a barrier that you go through to go to the trail.

8 years 5 months ago #1401 by ang
Do you enter the "catch water" near Chai Wan Road / Tai Tam Road and then show up near the Shek O Road?

I go by Cape Collison Road, thru the grave yards and reach the entrance of the MTB trail.

If no rain this weekend, I'll go for a quick run early in the morning.

Are you ok this weekend?

8 years 5 months ago #1399 by daiski
Replied by daiski on topic Shek O Country Park (Hong Kong Trail)
let me join you fellas next time. I was up there couple weeks ago with utter disappointment due to the fog. I'm a total beginner so I was going super slow up and down the trail.
I cut through the aquaduct to reach the correct centre so it saved me lotta time from going up Tai Tam Road.

Attachments:

8 years 6 months ago #1389 by pbaguas
No problem. However I'm in Kuala Lumpur the next few weeks. Will let you know when I'm back. I'm also not that technical a rider. :-)

8 years 6 months ago #1387 by ang
I'm a beginner and I often ride Dragon's Back (contour trail) during weekends (morning).

Can I join you for the next trip :)

8 years 6 months ago #1386 by pbaguas
I was also thinking of riding yesterday but thought that there would be a lot of hikers. I guess with the weather the way it was, people decided not to hike. I'm sure you still enjoyed in spite of the heat and humidity.

Hope to bump into you guys one of these weekends.

8 years 6 months ago #1385 by ang
Good for you :laugh:

We tried the contour trail last Sunday morning and were surprised that there were only a few hikers. However it was hot and humid tho.

8 years 6 months ago #1379 by pbaguas
Shek O Country Park (Hong Kong Trail) was created by pbaguas
I tried this trail today and did it clockwise. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate as it was foggy all morning long. You can imagine the disappointment I had when I got to Shek O Peak and I had no views to enjoy. Total time was a little over two hours which included a lot of stops to take photos in spite of the fog.

Here are my lessons learnt from today:

1. There are a lot of sections where you have to carry your bike, up and down steps (a whole lot of them), through rocks and slippery soil, etc. I don't recommend this trail for beginners and for people who have heavy bikes who might not have the strength to carry their bikes a long way.

2. Wear shoes that have traction. There are portions where you have to go through rocks and cut out granite slabs while carrying your bike.

3. Do not underestimate the trail. There are quite a number of downhill sections that have pretty large rocks, drops and obstacles. Unless you're Steve Peat, I don't recommend you to try them out without first knowing the trail or having the technical skills and appropriate bike.

4. Along the main trail, there are corners where it's pretty narrow with rocks and roots that you need to be wary of. Again knowledge of the trail is important.

5. If you want to see the beauty of the surrounding area of Shek O, I suggest you check the weather report first. From the pictures I've seen on a clear day they are magnificent and spell binding.

Conclusion:

I'll definitely be back but on a sunny day. There were hardly any people on the trail and I didn't see any bikers (maybe because it was a weekday and foggy). Now that I know the trail a little better, I should be able to enjoy it more.

Ride safe everyone! :)
Attachments:

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.588 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.